Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  1:25 pm
Subject:  pseudo opera -Alessandro Safina

Caio:>> 9 out of 10 blind people do that.

>Bruna>you were saying how could this irritating thing could be positive(the
msg is somewhere in my digest vsion...), well you see him blinking, then
you ask: why is he blinking that much!? someone tells you: he is blind,
then he's blinking and blinking and blinking reminding you that.
Couldn't he just keep his eyes closed? or open? or wear glasses? okay
the last one was a bad idea :P

Maybe he wears sunglasses while he's off stage but thinks he looks better,
or that it's more polite or expressive to take them off on stage. Maybe he
doesn't know that for some people ( like me ) it feels like watching one of
those bloody episodes of ER, but how could he know? He's never watched it or
looked in the mirror!

> Caio> And that despite the fact that 3 overweight "grandpas" are
> > not the recipe for a popular hit? But people bought their CDs anyway,
> > enjoyed their voices and repertoire. That's why I think you're
> > oversimplifying things.
> >
> Bruna> It's not the same thing, Caio...
>
> Why not? They're aimed at the very same market, and sold a lot too to
people
> who've never been in an opera house. Whatever superior quality they have
is
> not registered by that kind of consumer, so you can't justify their
success
> by saying they're "legitimate". People don't know and don't notice that.
If
> the masses can buy a CD performed by 3 fat, old and ugly guys, why is
> Bocelli supposed to depend on beauty and pity?
>

>You're wanting to find ONE thing commom to all them that makes them
famous/popular. You won't find it. Like you're saying:
Charlotte/Brightman sell because of the angel thing, Bocelli sells
because he is a hunk, Brightman is fat and Charlotte is a kid. They have
different things that attract the public.<

No, I'm trying to do the very opposite: it's not logical to point at what's
different in them to explain the common outcome they produce ( commercial
success ). You're just describing their peculiarities. The 3 Tenors are
ugly, fat and old and Bocelli is handsome ( I believe your judgement,
although I don't agree ), but all of them sell to the same public. So... how
can you be sure Bocelli sells because he's a hunk if the 3 Tenors sell as
much, or even more? And you can't say their "legitimate" talent make up for
their appearance because people don't notice that superiority. That's Logics
101. The only conclusion you may get to is that the public is attracted to
pseudo-opera REGARDLESS of the differences the "product" they're buying
displays.

My brother and his wife HATE opera but bought his CD when they listened to
him singing a duo with Brightman in a CD store. They found it beautiful,
asked the salesclerk what they were playing and got the CD. No blindness, no
fatness, no harps, no wings, hehe. But I know many people ( including my
brother and his wife ) who bought the "3 Tenors in Concert" saying "Wow...
they're the best!". When I asked them what made them the best, they never
gave me a technically valid explanation ( and believe me, I haven't made
this up. I DO ask that kind of question! ).

On Safina:>All i have heard of his is the song called "Luna", it's theme of
a soap
here. I think his voice is cute and better than Bocelli but i can't tell
you more than that or insist i'm not mistaken cuz as i just told you i
know little about him.

I know he has been a special guest on that soap opera doing himself once or
twice. He was lucky enough to act alongside Vera Fischer, Brazil's
50-year-old sex symbol ( she's hotter than two 25-year-olds together!
hehe ).

Caio

emusic.com