Vocalist.org archive

From:  Hild <hild@c...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  8:41 am
Subject:  re: re: pseudo opera -Alessandro Safina

> runa:
>
> >Why do you think he's always blinking? How many blind people you know
> that blink all the time?<
>
> 9 out of 10 blind people do that.

you were saying how could this irritating thing could be positive(the
msg is somewhere in my digest vsion...), well you see him blinking, then
you ask: why is he blinking that much!? someone tells you: he is blind,
then he's blinking and blinking and blinking reminding you that.
Couldn't he just keep his eyes closed? or open? or wear glasses? okay
the last one was a bad idea :P

> Caio> And that despite the fact that 3 overweight "grandpas" are
> > not the recipe for a popular hit? But people bought their CDs anyway,
> > enjoyed their voices and repertoire. That's why I think you're
> > oversimplifying things.
> >
> Bruna> It's not the same thing, Caio...
>
> Why not? They're aimed at the very same market, and sold a lot too to people
> who've never been in an opera house. Whatever superior quality they have is
> not registered by that kind of consumer, so you can't justify their success
> by saying they're "legitimate". People don't know and don't notice that. If
> the masses can buy a CD performed by 3 fat, old and ugly guys, why is
> Bocelli supposed to depend on beauty and pity?

You're wanting to find ONE thing commom to all them that makes them
famous/popular. You won't find it. Like you're saying:
Charlotte/Brightman sell because of the angel thing, Bocelli sells
because he is a hunk, Brightman is fat and Charlotte is a kid. They have
different things that attract the public.

> > It pisses me off to hear an ignorant neighbour listening to a
> cat all day long so loud that i'm obliged to hear.
>
> I like my cat's miaow! :-)

I wouldn't mind if she were listening to a REAL cat.... =)

On Safina:

> is currently hitting the American scene after
> much success in Europe. Some are calling the genre "pop-opera", others say
> it's hard to classify.
>
> As one who, frankly, wouldn't listen to Charlotte on a bet, but who enjoys
> Sting and other interesting contemporary artists, I am really enjoying the
> lighter rep of this CD sung by a decent voice. I'm not analyzing his
> technique, (well, ok, not really very much at least) - hey, I do that all
> day as a teacher, but I am finding the songs very relaxing and sensitively
> sung.
>
> Anyone else care to comment on this singer?

All i have heard of his is the song called "Luna", it's theme of a soap
here. I think his voice is cute and better than Bocelli but i can't tell
you more than that or insist i'm not mistaken cuz as i just told you i
know little about him.
Bruna

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16914 pseudo opera -Alessandro SafinaCaio Rossi   Sat  1/26/2002

emusic.com