Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  3:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Evita - Che; Spanish accent

I'm not going to comment on the political correctness - or lack thereof -
of your request. Instead, I'll suggest some song possibilities.

For baritone:

"Some enchanted evening" and "This nearly was mine" from SOUTH PACIFIC.
The character of Emile Lebeque was ostensibly Francophone, but the role
was created by Italian bass Ezio Pinza, so accent would certainly be
acceptable.

"Dulcinea" and "Impossible Dream" from MAN OF LA MANCHA. As Placido
Domingo proved on the Sony studio album, it's a role that can certainly be
sung with the appropriate accent (given the character's nationality).

"Joey, Joey, Joey" from THE MOST HAPPY FELLA. The character is actually
Italian, but I suspect your friend could get away with singing it with an
Italian accent.

"Only with You" from NINE. The character of Guido, based on Federico
Fellini, was created on Broadway by Raul Julia.

For Tenor:

"High flying adored" from EVITA (you already mentioned the role of Che;
this is one of his more engaging songs, IMO).

"Giannina mia" from Friml's THE FIREFLY (operetta). Sung by a Frenchman
posing as a Spaniard, who happens to be singing an Italian love song in
English. Go figure. "The Donkey Serenade" from the same operetta might be
an even better choice.

"To each his Dulcinea" from MAN OF LA MANCHA

Perhaps there's something from Cole Porter's MEXICAN HAYRIDE...

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com