Vocalist.org archive

From:  richard@r...
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  9:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Re; [vocalist] Singers and Amplification

On Fri, 25 January 2002, Greypins@a... wrote:
> you missed the point. the point was to compare apples and oranges
> and, by doing so, demonstrate how absurd it is to say one is better than the
> other.

I think you missed *my* point.

> also, i doubt you are trying to say that whoever makes the most money
> singing, is the best.

Absolutely that's not what I'm saying.

> i doubt anyone would pay $80 to hear a tenor sing just a tenor high C.
> i believe what you meant was that you'd be more willing to pay money to
> hear a good tenor than you would a good counter-tenor. to me, that's simply
> a matter of preference.

That's not what I meant either. Perhaps I got hung up on the note in question. A
tenor's high C is the tenor's so-called "money note". The exact same note is not
even close to being a "money note" for a countertenor. I'd pay the same amount
of money to hear a good countertenor as I would a good tenor - but if that
particular C was as high as a countertenor could sing, I would not consider him
a "good countertenor". I would *expect* that particular note to be easier in a
countertenor's voice, since their singing range is a good bit higher than a
tenor's.

Richard

emusic.com