Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  3:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Pseudo opera- Rock tessitura vs classical tessitura

Mirko, on male rock singers:

>The voices aren't supported and brilliant in sound, but more forced, and
that sound of stuggle is a stylistic part of rock.

I think it's a little more complex, mostly regarding those singers David
Lanza and I mentioned: depending on the song, that distortion at higher
notes is stylistically a must. A very good example is Dream Theater's LaBrie
singing "Perfect Strangers" or "Home": his higher notes are distorted
because they HAVE TO sound that way. But that doesn't happen in most of
their songs. In fact, most of those singers we mentioned tend toward a clear
timbre in most of what they sing, and that's one of the reasons I think
Anglo-Saxon audiences don't like them much.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com