Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Wed May 17, 2000  8:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

know that - for whatever reason

There is nothing more demoralizing than not preparing
> quite enough, ignoring warning signals, then being spotlit in the middle
of
> that audition room, singing your aria, hurtling toward those primo notes,
and
> realizing you can't sing them. Therapists make lots of money off of
moments
Hmmm... this is an interesting topic. I did an opera audition quite
recently. For some reason, I wasn't feeling that my high notes were all
there, due probably to fatigue and maybe a little bit of a cold bug. So I
took out a couple of them (I think a high D and even a run to a C#). And
the audition went FINE, but personally, I felt a bit like I had cheated!!
All I really did was alter the ornaments to take out these high notes - and
instead I did a couple more trills lower down in my range, just to embellish
the aria, as is the style (I sang Rossini). I know auditioners have NO WAY
of knowing how one USUALLY performs the aria, so who cares really? But i
guess for me, I knew I was doing it differently, and although differently
doesn't mean bad, or wrong, I still felt a little strange.

Fiona

emusic.com