Vocalist.org archive

From:  richard@r...
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  1:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical theater was Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

On Thu, 24 January 2002, "Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:
> Bernstein and Laurents did not have their Tony scream anything in the
> original production. Neither did the stage director/choreographer
> (wonderful, I simply cannot come up with his name right now.
> Embarassaing because the concept of the whole show was his idea.

Jerome Robbins. Believe me, I was wishing the whole way through we had him
instead of the director we did have...

> You're correct when you say the role was written for a baritone. The
> high notes are supposed to be sung in falsetto according to
> Bernstein. The name of the game in the show is conservation of
> energy because so much of the show is dance. For everyone.

That makes sense. The Maria and I had just about zero dancing to do. They left
in the dream ballet, but cut us out of most of it.

> Great to hear you had a chance to do it. I have done the work as
> music director/conductor.

It's a wonderful show, and I'm glad to have had the chance to sing Tony - but
it's definitely not an experience I care to repeat.

Richard

emusic.com