Vocalist.org archive

From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  11:00 pm
Subject:  Chicken or the egg.

>COMMENT: Not sure I agree completely. Actually the violin imitates
>the classical voice. All violin effects (tremelo, trills, etc.) were
>copied from the singers of that perios. The trumpet imitates the
>singing of the blues singer in traditional jazz. The background of
>Jazz is the sung blues, among other forms of sung black music, and
>all of the trumpets effects (trill, grow, slide, wa-wa mute, etc) are
>copies of the singing style of the blues singer. Even in rock, the
>stringed instruments needed to be attached to forms of amplification
>before they were capable of imitating the freedom exhibited by the
>voice singing the rhythm and blues style which is the foundation of
>rock and roll and, eventually, rock

The human voice did come first, I agree. But the human voice can imitate,
whereas
the instruments are set to sound a certain way. Jazz singers do emulate the
sound and
timbre of the trumpet. The trumpet can only sound the way it does. I agree
that you can play it a certain
way- but if you listen to ella fitzgerald, you can hear her trumpet-scat
lines- same with louie armstrong,
who was a trumpet player himself
I guess its a bit of a chicken or the egg argument, as these instrument
could have also
become popular because of their similiarity to the human voice.

Mirko
I guess

emusic.com