Vocalist.org archive

From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  10:54 pm
Subject:  Re: pseudo opera, was re: singers and amplification

no judy, i have not popped my cork (i was born without one). the
tradition of tranposing songs does not really exist in rock. (part of this
is due to the problem of tranposing downward on a guitar. some resort to
de-tuning a whole step, at most.) so, there is not the option to say "i'm
bass-baritone. i shall sing it in the low key". therefore, if the same
singer is going to sing a rock song, he's stuck.

Mike,

While I agree with you in that there is a problem in transposing and keeping
a similar sound on the guitar (often due to the chord shapes and position
used, and the fact that the
guitar is quite limited in its choice of good keys- mainly sharps), many
bands do
transpose when they need to, without de-tuning. We used to have another
singer
who had a low voice, and we would transpose on the spot for him. we found
it easy
to transpose on guitar. When the song is based around the lower register of
the guitar, you can be in trouble, as you will have to de-tune, but usually,
it's easy.

Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16836 Re: pseudo opera, was re: singers and amplificatiGreypins@a...   Fri  1/25/2002
16871 Evita - Che; Spanish accentImthurn Melinda   Fri  1/25/2002

emusic.com