Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  2:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] why female pop singers don't use head voice, much

In a message dated 1/24/02 1:24:34 AM, lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< This is even true in the music that is printed for children to sing
in elementary school. Its range now is from about G below middle C
to G an octave above. Whereas in the 1950's, elementary school song
books pitched songs from middle C up to G an octave and a fifth above
middle C. Quite a difference in range, and, my opinion, a range that
is damaging for a child's voice. >>

The same lowering of pitch has also occurred in hymnals, where hymns are now
printed a third (or more) lower than they were in the not-so-distant past.
There's been a similar lowering of pitch on much of the choral music
performed in churches. You've done a very good job of explaining a trend that
I find exasperating, and I think that your term of a "unisex vocal range" is
very apt.

It's interesting that a few centuries ago the female voice was not used in
churches because of the innate femininity (and therefore, sexuality) of the
sound. Today, when overt sexuality is the norm, the fully developed female
voice is once again not acceptable. What's a soprano to do?

Judy

emusic.com