Vocalist.org archive

From:  lolipastor@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  3:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

In a message dated 1/23/02 11:27:45 AM, ODivaTina@a... writes:

<<
The biggest difference is that the musical theater artists
1) Usually don't sing nearly as much as opera singers do in one performance
2) Use a microphone, and so don't have to consistently engage their entire
body and mechanism to fill the house and ride the orchestra
3) Don't use the extremes of their range consistently through out the
performance >>

This is so true. I also do cross-over work, and I tell you, I could do 2
performances of Camelot, Oklahoma or Brigadoon in a row, and be FINE....
whereas, an opera double-header is a bit more killer. My sister is the worst
when it comes to making fun of how precious/delecate the opera singer is.
She keeps telling me about all of her friends in NYC who sing musical
theatre, and who are able to go out every night and drink and smoke and yell
in bars... and then she tells me that I have a diva complex because I don't
go out and do the same thing. All I can say is that I wouldn't want to hear
those friends of hers singing my repertoire!!!

Lauren

emusic.com