Vocalist.org archive

From:  "valevanni" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  9:27 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., sopran@a... wrote:
> Freddie Mercury was a terrific singer. But that still doesn't mean
> that he sang at a higher tessitura than most opera singers!
It seems to me that he sang...

> comes to my mind is the late Minnie Ripperton. But the tessitura
> of the music that she sang doesn't even come close to many operatic
> arias for coloratura soprano.
I think you are right about this.
It seems to me that for women there is an inverse rule.

Male pop singers generally sing higher than male opera singers.
Female pop singers generally sing lower than female opera singers.

This because female pop singers use head voice less than opera ones,
while male pop singers use it more than opera ones. In many pop
genres, the difference between male and female tessituras is about
1/2 octave. I don't know much opera, but it seems to me that this
difference is bigger.

emusic.com