Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  8:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

Ooo, does that mean that the late Jackie Wilson was an opera singer? (His
1960s hit "Night" uses the tune for Dalila's aria "Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta
voix.")

*My* dad suggested to me that perhaps part of the disconnect was caused by
the lack of "good" (his word) opera singers appearing in popular movies,
i.e. Lauritz Melchior, Rise Stevens and my muse Jeannette MacDonald.
Incidentally, I first got to love the opera sound from Robert Merrill's
recording of Irving Berlin's "Always." And the lovely Jeannette (who did
perform onstage in operas and recitals, in addition to her Hollywood career)
played in Broadway musicals in the 1920s, and capped her career with a tour
in "The King and I."

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx

I'm still arguing with my dad over whether or not Elvis Presley singing a
song to the tune of "O Sole Mio" means that he "sang opera". The public is
*very* easily confused.