Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

mike wrote:

> with regard to range, many rock singers are often found singing at a
>higher tessitura, as well as a higher range, than most opera singers. for
>some, it is at an even greater extreme as, for some reason, the idea of
>transposing is anathema.

I suspect it has something to do with getting a certain souncd from
the guitars that is often lost when tranposing. As an example, Paul
McCartney recorded "Yesterday" in F. Anybody who knows his recording
will recognize the song from the first chord. How do you get that
sound? By tuning the guitar down a full step and then playing in G.
OR, as I just figured out, tune the 6th string down a full step and
use some unusual fingerings to get the same voicings Paul did.

John Link

Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)