Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  5:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

In a message dated 1/23/2002 9:36:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> with regard to range, many rock singers are often found singing at a
> higher tessitura, as well as a higher range, than most opera singers. for
> some, it is at an even greater extreme as, for some reason, the idea of

I agree with you on that one, and find myself completely amazed at singers
like Steve Tyler who have done this consistently for 25 years.
I think the idea of transposing is more about the fact that the extremely
high tessitura gives an edge, an intensity, and that feeling of being on the
verge of not quite making it, which adds to the drama and excitement of the
music.
(And let's face it; some of them in live performance really don't quite make
their high notes. . .)
TinaO

emusic.com