Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  5:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

In a message dated 1/23/2002 7:43:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> i have a student who has a band and does solo gigs, often doing
> > four nights a week in smoky bars. and, there are many like him. i
> can't

The biggest difference is that the musical theater artists
1) Usually don't sing nearly as much as opera singers do in one performance
2) Use a microphone, and so don't have to consistently engage their entire
body and mechanism to fill the house and ride the orchestra
3) Don't use the extremes of their range consistently through out the
performance

I am a singer who has done all of the above; band singing, opera singing, and
theatrical performances day after day. It is HARD to do these daily
performances, to be sure, but to do them in the idiom of opera would be
extremely difficult, and in some cases (depending on the role) impossible. (
As a mezzo, since there are so few leading roles, I don't have a lot to draw
from regarding doing something like Butterfly or Norma. . . But I certainly
can extrapolate!)
TinaO

emusic.com