Vocalist.org archive

From:  richard@r...
Date:  Tue Jan 22, 2002  6:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

On Tue, 22 January 2002, sopran@a... wrote:

> I think that a very large part of the motivation to hype Church is
> Sony's push to be the best-selling "classical" label.

What's interesting about that, though, is that they're only the best-selling
"classical" label when you take into account all of the music on their
"classical" label that is nowhere near "classical" music - say, the Titanic
soundtrack or Church's recordings. It's the old trick of the second-rater -
can't win? No problem, just lower the standard. (The singer's version: Can't
sing the note? No problem, just widen your vibrato.)

> what's a click track?

Typically a metronome piped into the conductor's ear via a headphone, I think is
how it's usually done. What it amounts to is, the conductor has no real control,
they're just keeping everybody in time with the tempo that's been agreed to by
the producers to get the show in under a certain time, or just to ensure that
it's the "same show" musically every night. It's done a lot on Broadway and in
professional tours as well, I believe.

Richard

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16795 Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and AmplificationLloyd W. Hanson   Thu  1/24/2002

emusic.com