Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jan 22, 2002  4:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] nick cave--wedding song

I am curious - which Nick Cave song is it she wants you to sing? Is it
"And no more shall we part"? If so, I suggest you think of this in terms
of a cabaret song - think "jazz ballad", think Kurt Weill, think Ute
Lemper singing Weill's "Je ne t'aime pas", think "Salomon Song" from DER
DREIGROSCHENOPER. Think smoky, dark Berlin 1920s nightclub decadence. In
short, forget all about Cave's turgid interpretation, and think of the
song's potential if you were to (1) ratchet up the tempo just a bit; (2)
give it a kind of decadent, erotic, jazzy feel. I think you could actually
make something of the song with this reinterpretive approach.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com