Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 21, 2002  2:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singer's formant vs. decibles (was RE: RE: Charlotte)

In a message dated 1/21/2002 5:10:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ingo_d@y... writes:

> But Mike, doesn't the singer also need sufficient volume to be heard
> over the other singers? I imagine a singer's career would be awefully
> limited if they could "only" be heard over the orchestra but wouldn't
> be audible when singing a duet.

yes ingo but, that's another issue. just because franco corelli
drowns out mirella freni in the final duet of their recording of 'romeo et
juliette', doesn't make mirella freni not an opera singer.
from a business standpoint, if someone were to hire church to sing an
opera, if she were singing a duet with someone who is burying her, i'm sure
they'd tell the someone to tone it down unless, the someone was a bigger draw
money-wise.

in opera there is a wide variety of voice sizes. it's not like arm
wrestling where the winner gets the title 'opera singing'.

mike

emusic.com