Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Jan 20, 2002  6:53 pm
Subject:  Re: For the record

1. The great Spanish opera singer, who is best known for
her singing of bel canto repertoire, and who has the first
name Montserrat has a last name that's spelled Caballe!

2. Somebody wrote that Bocelli studies with opera singer
Franco Corelli. According to somebody who writes on the
opera list who does study with Corelli, Bocelli has only
have a few lessons with Franco, but has chosen to publicize
the connection beyond what it really is.

3. As far as Bocelli singing opera. He has, in public,
without microphone, for pay. The most recent gig I know of
was the tenor and title role of Massenet's Werther at the
Detroit Opera, opposite Denyce Graves' Charlotte. I heard a
little on the web, and was not impressed. So I think we can
call him an opera singer, at least on a part-time basis, but
a not-very-good one (I don't think opera companies are
beating down his door to come sing for them). I've read he
takes his vocal work on opera seriously, so perhaps if we
think of him as a promising member of a vocal studio we're a
part of (so what if he's making big bucks!), his singing
would be viewed in better perspective.

Mission Impossible: As to Charlotte, I challenge anyone on
this list to listen to one of the opera arias she's recorded
- let's say the Habanera, or O mio babbino, or the Jewel
Song, and right afterwards listen to a really good opera
singer's recording of the same, and then say she sings those
arias at even close to the same quality, without accounding
for any studio enhancement that may have occurred. Such as
Tatiana Troyanos' Habanera, Kiri te Kanewa's O Mio Babbino,
and Ruth Ann Swenson's Jewel Song. I just did a little of
that at Border's, where they had Charlotte at the listening
station. So your assignment, should you choose to accept
it, is to accomplish this task and report back to the list.
This tape recorder will self-descruct in 30 seconds.....

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16695 Re: For the recordCaio Rossi   Sun  1/20/2002
16696 Re: For the recordsopran@a...   Sun  1/20/2002
16698 Re: For the recordsopran@a...   Sun  1/20/2002
16699 Re: For the recordCaio Rossi   Sun  1/20/2002

emusic.com