Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  6:08 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Andrea Bocelli.

<< Actually, you could definitely say that about my OTHER great love,
singing.
Look at Cecilia Bartoli, Bidu Sayao, Frederica von Stade (who even calls
herself a pip squeak), Lily Pons, Rita Streich, Kathleen Battle, Conchita
Supervia. . .the list goes on and on of singers whose voices were small, but
whose charisma was huge.
Tina >>

That's right, their voices are/were not huge. But they have/had the
TECHNIQUE
to make them heard, nonetheless, even in big houses, and sometimes in roles
that would otherwise have been unsuitable for them. That's what's lacking in
Bocelli.

Well, I saw Cecilia a few years ago in a production of The Barber of Seville
in Dallas, and you could not hear her for much of the night. Any time she
and Figaro sang together, she might have been just moving her mouth, for all
I could tell. Several times, the orchestra itself overpowered her. I was
terribly dissapointed. I have several CDs of her, and love her voice. It
sounded so much bigger on the CD. I feel the same way when I hear a
recording of myself. I feel like I have a bigger voice than I actually do.
Oh well...like someone else mentioned, size isn't everything!

David Grogan
Marshall, Texas

emusic.com