Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  3:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] image

But, bottom line is that TOO much weight is
just simply too much weight. Everyone should aim towards reaching and
maintaining what is really and truly healthy for them. And aim for a
modicum of fitness, besides. That is real beauty.

PJ.

PJ I am sure (unless you are naturally thin as a rail) you know this is easier
said than done. Weight and looks in general are such complicated and passion
inspiring topics we could probably discuss abortion and get less heated
comments. But as far as image and a singing career go....it is easier to have a
career if you have what current Hollywood standards deem a "hot body" and that
most likely has nothing to do with health or beauty, didn't Lily Langtree weigh
250 pounds? The men of her time LOVED her! Aside from weight....looks in
general are important in artistic mediums in which the public will be "viewing"
the work.....as in music with the advent of video and in visual performances
like opera and any other forms of music which are meant to be viewed while they
are performed...like concerts (not so 15 years ago) in art, and in theatre and
film etc. What ever the socially excepted "ideal" of the time period is....THAT
is what will sell the most tickets and the people who possess whatever quality
is fashionable will be sought after. And the fact that the image is so
available to everyone via TV, film, Video. computer etc...makes image that much
more important. It wasn't that long ago that few people owned a TV, and
computers and videos were science fiction. So as few as 50 years ago a physical
"ideal" was still something much more subjective than it is now....your body and
looks could still be pretty but perhaps very different from my body and looks.
However I think now...we have a more homogenous idea of what "ideal" is It's
more like "Mc-Ideal".

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16660 Re: imagePJ. Garner   Sat  1/19/2002

emusic.com