Vocalist.org archive

From:  Hild <hild@c...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  10:53 am
Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Charlotte

> Caio:
> > I can remember telling many people for the first he was blind after they
> had
> > already told me they liked him, or had bought his CD, etc.
> >

> Hild:>What kinda people are you talking about? The same people that think
> Liriel is an opera singer?
>
> I'm not so sure she isn't. I'd have to listen to her live.

LOL- Why!? She sounds like a cat! Pay attention to the high notes...
Well, perhaps you're lucky and don't have a neighbour that listen to
their cd all day long =)

> >Come on, Bocelli has a cute voice but it's not suited for opera!<
>
> I didn't say anything about that. I said above that I don't believe his
> blindness has contributed to his success. If he were a painter, THAT would
> be a reason to buy his stuff!

I think it does. I remember reading an interview of Renee Fleming saying
that he couldn't get into the conservatorium because he was blind so he
began to sing that kinda music. Oh please are you gonna tell me it was
JUST because he was blind? If we're not very fond of him singing opera
today imagine it some years ago and some classes ago!

> Caio> And have you seen
> > Montserrat Cabalet singing? What could be attractive in her image?
> >

> Hild:>She is an opera singer!
>
> But if the masses can't tell the difference between a real opera singer and
> a "classical-oriented" pop singer, Cabalet's actual category is not
> important here. Both Cabalet and Bocelli are popular, but her appearance
> or the 3 Tenors' ) has no special feature as Bocelli's supposedly has just
> because of his blindness. In fact, they're all much more on the 'yuk' side
> in terms of appearance. That's why I think his repertoire accounts for his
> success.

Credit Caballe's "popularity" to her repertoire. She sang stuff from
Granados to Jose Maria Cano.
Besides she has a very pretty timbre! But as someone else as
saying(don't remember who =) sorry!)
his image doesn't count, just ask how many fans each one of them has.
Don't count Pavarotti on, the guy
has so much recorded that most of his cds are cheaper than
food-including box sets!

> Caio:
> > Or the 3
> > Tenors? I think what people like is Bocelli's italianated operatic-ish
> > hehe ) way of singing romantic songs. It's this cheesy romantic
> atmosphere
> > that Italians are so good at.
> >

> Hild:>Yeah, agree... But don't tell me that his blindness doesn't help him
> sell cds!
>
> If he were handsome ( or deaf! ), I'm sure that would help him. But I don't
> think his blindness is so important for his sales.

Ah, he is cute! Don't compare him to Alagna or Jose Cura but he's
good-looking!
Bruna

emusic.com