Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  2:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Re: Charlotte

Caio:
> I can remember telling many people for the first he was blind after they
had
> already told me they liked him, or had bought his CD, etc.

Hild:>What kinda people are you talking about? The same people that think
Liriel is an opera singer?

I'm not so sure she isn't. I'd have to listen to her live.

>Come on, Bocelli has a cute voice but it's not suited for opera!<

I didn't say anything about that. I said above that I don't believe his
blindness has contributed to his success. If he were a painter, THAT would
be a reason to buy his stuff!

Caio> And have you seen
> Montserrat Cabalet singing? What could be attractive in her image?

Hild:>She is an opera singer!

But if the masses can't tell the difference between a real opera singer and
a "classical-oriented" pop singer, Cabalet's actual category is not
important here. Both Cabalet and Bocelli are popular, but her appearance
or the 3 Tenors' ) has no special feature as Bocelli's supposedly has just
because of his blindness. In fact, they're all much more on the 'yuk' side
in terms of appearance. That's why I think his repertoire accounts for his
success.

Caio:
> Or the 3
> Tenors? I think what people like is Bocelli's italianated operatic-ish
> hehe ) way of singing romantic songs. It's this cheesy romantic
atmosphere
> that Italians are so good at.

Hild:>Yeah, agree... But don't tell me that his blindness doesn't help him
sell cds!

If he were handsome ( or deaf! ), I'm sure that would help him. But I don't
think his blindness is so important for his sales.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com