Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  2:13 am
Subject:  Listening to singers

Didi:

>I think what you wrote was right Peggy! About 2 years ago Charlotte
impressed me. Now in my 5th year of vocal study I cringe when I listen
to her. Why? Because she isn't doing some of the things that I am
taught by my teacher in order to "sing properly". I also just don't
like the sound of her voice. When I first heard Cecelia Bartoli I
didn't like the sound of her voice either. Now I listen with a
different ear and am impressed at what she can do with her voice! Will
this all change as I go on with my lessons? Who knows or who cares?
We listen to music for enjoyment at times and we listen the music to
learn at times.<

It was exclusively in that sense that I stated that classical music is
SUPERIOR to pop music (when discussing the Beatles a week or so ago). The
difference is that you're making comparisons at an individual level, while I
did that at a "civilizational" one.

In terms of enjoyment, Charlotte ( or the Beatles, for so many ) beats
Bartoli 10 to 0 in most people's judgement. In musical ( cultural ) terms,
though, which do you think is most likely to remain as a future reference?
That makes Charlotte richer, but qualifies opera singers, classical
intrumentists and ballet dancers for public funding or tax discount for
their sponsors in many countries. She has to rent concert halls, but they
may use publicly-owned opera houses.

That is... if the grown-up Charlotte doesn't become the next Lady of Iron.

Caio

emusic.com