Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 18, 2002  4:06 pm
Subject:  Re: Charlotte

mike wrote:
<< there may be an additional objection to the use of the term 'opera
singer'. there may be a notion that the term connotes a special status and it
may be preferable to exclude little ms. church from this consideration.>>

I think mike has hit the nail on the head. People that like opera are very
particular about their singers. They (and I mean me as well) only fully respect
*as an opera singer* singers who have the ability to sound good singing a staged
opera in an opera house, with no electronic amplification, over an orchestra.

By my criteria, Ms. Church has not yet demonstrated this ability, because I
don't think anyone on this list has ever heard her sing without a microphone.
Or in a staged opera. And when we compare her sound to that of *real* opera
singers in her probably "fach" like Dawn Upshaw, Kathleen Battle in her younger
days, my favorite young coloratura soprano Anna Christy, and even the young
Julie Andrews or Barbara Cook, neither of whom ever claimed to "sing opera", Ms.
Church is found severely wanting, in my opinion.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com