Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 18, 2002  3:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Charlotte

Laura:>It's like when I tell people I'm an opera singer and I get comments
like
"Oh how wonderful! So can you sing that song from Phantom?" ARGHHHHHH.<

Caio:> But she sings OPERA repertoire too, doesn't she? >>

Mike:> just because aaron copeland wrote 'rodeo', it doesn't make him a
horse.
i remain horrified by my memory of joan sutherland and marilyn horne singing
a beatles song in the early 70s on the tonight show. i certainly wouldn't
call them 'pop' singers. actually, i like ian's idea of calling everybody
just 'singer' and, let everyone sing whatever they want, however they want.

But if Charlotte sings opera repertoire and it's not easy to say if her
voice would project in an opera house just by listening to a CD, it's
impossible to say for sure that she's not an opera singer. Someone said her
beautiful timbre as due to sound-engineering, but how can one prove that
just by listening to the CD? She may be an opera singer singing "The Phantom
of the Opera" too. Her faulty breathing, phrasing, etc, etc may be taken as
mistakes that might be committed by a "real" opera singer as well!

Caio

emusic.com