Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] (no subject)

Hi Janis,
My name is Mary Beth Felker-Osborn, I have studied Speech Level Singing
for the past year and will be a certified instructor in another month.
First off, the goal of any good vocal pedagogy is to keep the vocal cords
closed from the bottom to the top of the range. And secondly, that the larynx
stays stable, and is not jumping up and down as one vocalizes. However, do
not focus on keeping your larynx stable intitially, the exercises are
designed to help you with that, and your end result after you have finished
studying is that the larynx will stabilize. Always remember that singing is a
neuromuscular process, so old habits needed to be dropped and new one
learned. This takes time.
The first thing we focus on is getting your cords to adduct properly from
top to bottom without flipping into falsetto, without pulling your chest
voice too high, and without pulling your head voice too low. If your cords
are not closed, there is no way that your larynx will stabilize because the
extrinsic (swallowing) muscles of the larynx will have to get involved in
order to close your cords. Exercises that use the "cry" such as Mm in a
staccato or legato fashion, and Mum's help to do this.
Once your cords are closing properly, we can begin to look at stabilizing
the larynx and make sure that you are bridging at the proper point. (passagi
points) Any of the exercises with a schwa vowel ( uh, as in nothing, or even
oo as book) will help to do this. Also, any of the exercises beginning with a
"g" will help. Just be careful not to take the guh or gee's or go's above
your third bridge. As quickly as possible open these up to a nuh, or mum.
If you are having trouble connecting between your bridges, especially if
you are flipping to falsetto at your first bridge, use on of the pharyngeal
exercises. These are the "nay, nay, nay" or Nah, or Ah on a staccato scale.
Again as soon as you are holding consistently move to the nuh, or neh, or
mum's.
Last, start dropping the beginning consonant of each exercise and sing
only on vowels. The narrower the vowel the easier the connection will be
initially. Oo would be a good start. ALso, add a slight glottal start ( as in
the cry sound) to stop the airflow and allow the cords to close if you begin
to flip again or having difficulty crossing. Doing the long vowel scales in a
staccato-mixed legato fashion is another tool to begin applying your
technique.
Once you can sing smoothly throughout your range on all vowels, VOILA!,
you are ready to sing songs..............write back to me when you get there
and I will help you move from technique to application.
Good luck on your singing journey!
Sincerely,
Mary beth Felker-Osborn

emusic.com