Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 15, 2002  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?

In a message dated 1/15/2002 12:02:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
toda@m... writes:

<< It's curious, though, why would a raised larynx manifest itself this
way in a spectrogram? (if indeed this is the reason) What is the
physics behind it? Anyone have any theories? >>

the only thing i can thing of is that, with a lowered larynx, the opening
above the folds is narrower (as the larynx is deeper in the throat) than it
would be if the larynx is raised. when the larynx is raised, the opening
above the folds is more in the mouth which, is wider than the throat. the
wider the opening from a resonator, the brighter the sound and, vice versa.

<< It's interesting because above the C5, my spectrum looks a lot like
that of a soprano. I wonder if the smaller resonating space within a
woman's larynx is responsible for this fan-like formation? My raised
larynx is perhaps mimicking this phenomenon by decreasing the space...

from memory, i don't recall the spectrograms of sopranos peaking quite so
much. otherwise, it does look similar.

mike

emusic.com