Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Jan 15, 2002  5:00 pm
Subject:  Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?

Greypins@a... wrote:
> the increasing activity above the 3700hz. range as you go
> towards A5, in my experience (also limited) with using this
> technology, usually is reflective of a raised or, rising larynx.

Dear Mike,

I do have the bad habit of raising my larynx crossing my 2nd
passagio, especially during a glissando. If you're right, then I only
need to fix my bad habits, and not my recording set up :-)

It's curious, though, why would a raised larynx manifest itself this
way in a spectrogram? (if indeed this is the reason) What is the
physics behind it? Anyone have any theories?

It's interesting because above the C5, my spectrum looks a lot like
that of a soprano. I wonder if the smaller resonating space within a
woman's larynx is responsible for this fan-like formation? My raised
larynx is perhaps mimicking this phenomenon by decreasing the space...

Tako

emusic.com