Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  11:59 pm
Subject:  Does this spectrogram look right to you?

Dear Everyone,

I've been experimenting, trying to get a good recording for spectral
analysis. For my thesis research, I'm going to use glissandi to help
show the upper and lower boundaries of the singer's formant:

Trouble is, I am fairly inexperienced, and can't tell if maybe my
setup needs help. There are some things I've noticed in my
spectrogram, and I want to make sure they're normal. Here is the
image:

http://people.mills.edu/toda/music/gliss.html

1) When the fundamental is between C4 and C5, bands appear above the
singer's formant in a repeating pattern, defined by nodes where there
is less acoustic energy. Is this normal, or is this some weird
artifact?

2) When the fundamental is between C5 and A5, the usual singer's
formant pattern degenerates - instead of bands, higher partials start
being represented, in a classic dropoff pattern. The nodes seem to
disappear.

Is this just the nature of my voice? Is this a fairly typical
spectrogram? Or have I set up my mic/room poorly?

This glissando was recorded in a very dry room (but not completely),
maybe 40 meters squared. I used an AKG 414 in omni mode, set 30cm
away from my mouth.

Thanks for your feedback!

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16487 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?Greypins@a...   Tue  1/15/2002
16496 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?takooda   Tue  1/15/2002
16489 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?Terry Mitchell   Tue  1/15/2002
16492 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?Greypins@a...   Tue  1/15/2002
16497 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?Greypins@a...   Tue  1/15/2002
16503 Re: Does this spectrogram look right to you?Allan Vurma   Tue  1/15/2002
16700 Singers and AmplificationLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  1/20/2002

emusic.com