Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  11:12 pm
Subject:  Transpositions WAS Re: [vocalist] lullaby

I think you'd agree with me on the
> wisdom of auditioning for opera, competitions, or singing on
> academic juries with arias in the original key or a
> transposition commonly used in staged operas.
>
> Peggy
>
> --
> Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA
> "Music for a While Shall All Your Cares Beguile"
> mailto:peggyh@i...

On a similar note, I was reading through the song lists for the UK ABRSM
singing exams. For Grade 8 (top grade before diploma) you have a choice of
four lists, and have to choose a song from each. The guideline states that
each song can be transposed to a representative range for the voice, with
the exception of opera or oratorio arias written for specific voices, and
these should be performed in the original key. I looked to the tenor arias
section, where one example was "Je Crois Entendre" from Pearl Fishers, which
was stated as being in G minor. Well, I have performed this opera, and have
that aria in more than one collection, and it's always in A minor. I
wouldn't know where to find the music for it a tone down, and would probably
transpose it myself. Do you think I would be penalised for doing it in
Bizet's original key? (Only hypothetical since I have no real intention of
taking this exam).

Best wishes
Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK