Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  11:23 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

Here’s one from the other side!
I just got a call from a student of 2 ˝ years who has decided to
take a break from lessons. We have actually had a great relationship
and have become friends, but I have grown increasingly frustrated by our
lack of progress vocally. I have tried everything I could to help her
with the tense production of her highest range (the rest is really in
pretty good shape and she has made lots of progress in the past) but I
could tell that she wasn’t as interested as I in tackling this last
challenge and simply wanted to have fun singing. I’m all for fun, but I
couldn’t in good conscience take a significant amount of money from her
for lessons and not address obvious problems. My husband had encouraged
me to “fire” her in her own best interest, and to free up that slot for
another student who might need me more, but I was hesitant to do so.
I think she was somewhat surprised that I wasn’t upset about her
decision to quit and that the phone conversation was much easier than
she might have anticipated. It really was time for her to either get
more serious about things or to move to another teacher who wouldn’t
have cared so much about the technique not working fully. So – honesty
yielded a win-win situation for both of us!!
Also – her call was followed by a call from a potential student who
sounds as if he will be an absolute treasure (19, baritone, son of voice
teacher, great sight-reader, very musical). Thanks to her opening, I
will be able to take him!!! So, sometimes, this might be the best for
the teacher as well as the student.

Sharon Szymanski
The Szymanski Studio –“encouraging excellence in the vocal arts”

emusic.com