Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  1:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

In a message dated 1/13/2002 3:43:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:

> And then she said that, after all, her job was to get all her students to
> the point where they become their own teachers, and don't need her
> any more.
>
> Would that all voice teachers had this as their primary objective!

I completely agree. I must say, my current teacher and the one I had before
that both had that as their credo. And that is what I impart to my students
as well. There is no other way. . . it is our butts that are alone in the
hotel rooms across the country at the various gigs having to figure out how
to handle the new dynamics the conductor wants, or having to warm up properly
for an audition on a day when the voice is not at its optimum. As Mr T said:
"I pity the foo' " who won't be able to figure these things out for
themselves, and their teachers do them a HUGE disservice when they don't
train them for this capability.
TinaO

emusic.com