Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Sun Jan 13, 2002  11:26 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

Dear Peggy, Lea Ann and co-vocalisters,

I agree with Peggy. But Lea Ann, for everything in your life you’ll have
to find a form that is in tune with your personality. You cannot copy
somebody else’s behaviour (just as cannot copy somebody else’s musical
interpretation), you’ll have to find your own way of telling your
ex-teacher.

Just to give you an idea: I am also not the type that finds it easy to
tell people unpleasant things (or things of which I think they are
unpleasant for them), even if I think somebody is not kosher. But I
simply told my ex teacher I did not make much progress in the last time
and that somehow ‘it’ didn’t work anymore. That was not too difficult to
say. The only thing is, that you should not allow yourself to discuss
with your ex-teacher, just block the discussion and say: I’ve made up my
mind, this is my feeling and I cannot change that. (In a discussion
you’ll always be weak, because your ex-teacher still has more knowledge
than you, and you sound like a person you can easily manipulate ;))

But I think that this way of quitting is far better that lying: no
matter whether your ex-teacher is a good or a bad person, she deserves
to hear the truth. If she is a good person, she will think about it and
she and her other students might benefit from it one day, even if you
might have made a mistake. If she is a bad person (which I something
else than a bad teacher), she deserves to hear the truth even more.

If you still think this is too difficult, you can also do it in written
form, then you can be sure there will be no discussion.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com