Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Jan 12, 2002  8:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

Well I just came home from my first lesson with the new teacher who by the way
has a gorgeous voice FULL of emotion...something I haven't had the pleasure of
hearing in a lesson. As I said before this new teacher had at one time taken
lessons from my current teacher, and she told me that when she ended her lessons
the teacher was sort of nasty to her about it. Sooooo I may indeed take the low
road and just say that I have been hired for a new job and will be working
during the week and can no longer attend or something like that...I think even
if I were honest with her about WHY I no longer wanted to take from her she
wouldn't care. Her demeanor is very "I have been doing this for 30 years and
this is the only way I will ever do it) she never listens when I say I am having
trouble with a technique anyway why should she care that I no longer want to
take lessons from her.

The New teacher I saw today was wonderful she had specific ideas in mind for
me...she told me what she thought of my voice as it is..what I had going for me,
and what I needed to work on. I was with her for an hour and 15 minutes
today...and she really seemed to know her technical stuff. She told me that the
material I had been working on wasn't really ideal for someone with a deep dark
voice like mine. She also amazed me by taking me effortlessly to a high C
today. WOW who knew? She said you have a great range for a mezzo..and I told
her that I had never been above G before. Actually my head is whirring with all
the things she said...I am amazed and I left feeling good about myself...not
because she praised me or stroked my ego..because she did not! I felt good
because she was honest with me and she was passionate about music, and seemed
excited about working with me. She told me the story behind Menotti's Vanessa
(and honestly I didn't really think much of menotti) and she was nearly in
tears, she made me want to hear more Menotti...and I will give Must The Winter
Come So Soon another chance...My current teacher sang a little to me and it
sounded so dead that I wasn't inspired. (not that I depend on her to inspire
me..she just didn't bother to explain anything)

Soooo I have a mission now as well...this new teacher mentioned that she thought
Porpora would be good for me...she said specifically that Alto Giove would be
wonderful. BUT it is long out of print. SO I am going to try and track it
down.

She chose Handel's Lascia Cie Pianga to work on. She said we could use it
remedy some of my vocal problems and because it would be wonderful for my deep
dark voice.

She said something interesting about vibrato too, she said she detected no
throat tension, but she said sometimes tongue tension will cause the vibrato
problem. She noticed as I climbed higher and higher the vibrato was there but
it would go away when I went back down. She said I had a fast vibrato and that
perhaps I didn't recognize it or that I may not have really liked it but it was
there. So she gave me some exercises to do and she told me how to check for
tongue tension (finger on soft part under chin) At least I have some direction
now.

anyway....I feel hopeful

Lea Ann