Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 12, 2002  4:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Female tenors

Cássia Eller died on 12/29 so they've been re-showing the programs she
participated in lately. Today a saw her saying at an MTV program that she
started in opera, before becoming a pop singer, as a contralto, but she also did
the tenor voice then.

I've always thought a "normal" woman ( Cássia looked like a man, besided having
very masculine gestures and attitude ) could not have such a heavy timbre, not
even when singing in chest voice.

Caio

> The only true female tenor I've ever heard of was Ruby Helder, a British
> lady tenor who recorded in the first two decades of the 20th century, then
> promptly disappeared from the scene.
>
> Does anyone know of any other TRUE female tenors (not just female pop
> singers singing in chest voice).
>
> Karen Mercedes
> http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
> What lies behind us, and what lies before us
> are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
> - Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com