Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  2:49 am
Subject:  SINGERS AND MUSICIANS

I remembered two Brazilian instrumentalists ( Ok, now, Laura?! ;-) ) who have
an "expressive" way of playing their accoustic guitars: Badi Assad ( who's also
a singer and had a jazz career in the US for some years ) and a new guy, Yamandu
Costa, an impressive musician. I tried to find a short videoclip on the Net
showing him playing but couldn't find any. On the other hand, I've found this
site I didn't know existed: www.allbrazilianmusic.com/en ( Vicky, Mike and Doris
may enjoy this link ) and, SMALL WORLD, found this article too ( won't spoil the
surprise. You've gotta go there to know what it is! ):
http://www.allbrazilianmusic.com/en/News/News.asp?Status=MATERIA&Nu_Materia=2858

Best wishes,

Caio

> There are also other instrumentalists who are extremely expressive:
> Nadja Sallerno-Sonenberg, a violinist, oftentimes makes just as odd
> expressions on her face as Cecilia Bartoli does. She's also very much a
> free-spirit. Pianists who are expressive, oftentime will be swaying
> back and forth with the music at the piano. I've even seen Jean-Pierre
> Rampal move around quite expressively. I had a friend, a violinist, who
> took breaths with each phrase. She wasn't a singer, but she was using a
> singing technique to give expression to her music. It could be
> distracting sometimes, but she's a wonderful and passionate musician and
> this comes through in her playing very clearly.
>
> Laura

emusic.com