Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  10:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

Not true about arias being published in the key the appeared in the opera.
Back in the 19th century, and even in the 20th, there have been a lot of
"Popular Arias" books published that transpose all over the place. I have
two books that do this - one is a Treasury of Opera that you can find in
many public libraries, that takes a lot of the arias down a whole step or
two (Batti, batti, for example, is published in a key where the top note
is a G5 instead of an A#5. Also, the Fireside Book of Love Songs includes
a few arias that have been transposed. And I've got two versions of
Handel's CARA SPOSA from Semele. The Kagen edition is in the original key,
while the Schirmer edition (in the Grey mezzo book) is a whole step
higher.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16389 Re: lullabyLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/10/2002

emusic.com