Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  8:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] finding a new teacher (again)

Lana said:
Just don't totally discount taking lessons from someone
who isn't your same fach. My
first teacher sounds a lot like yours -- she wanted me
to "lighten and brighten" my rather large, dark-sounding
natural voice, and this created all *kinds* of
problems! She also expected me to do some
work myself, and encouraged me to listen to recordings
of other artists.
Cheers!

Lana Mountford

Hurrah Lana that sounds so encouraging! I feel like I should have started
trusting myself before today...leaving a lesson and saying to yourself "that was
a waste of time" is not a good thing. The things you mentioned about your
teacher are things I am looking for...I would love to have some homework! I
have been trying to direct myself...I have been listening critically to
different people and trying to discern what was good about this or that and what
was not good. It would be a dream to have someone suggest something to listen
to! Speaking of fach...my current teacher doesn't know what that is. I
explained it to her...and no I am not kidding. She has taught for 30 years and
doesn't know what a fach is. I know I probably wont find another mezzo...but I
think I should really look for someone who is at least interested in mezzos. My
current teacher always seems flustered when I ask her for a mezzo piece. It
would be wonderful to take lessons from someone who could suggest wonderful
mezzo material. I must say that I feel more encouraged after talking to
teachers in my area, the teacher that came most recommended to me cannot see me
until June, but I found someone who can take me now who seems interested in
mezzos and knows the current music scene, and *laugh* knows what a fach is. I
was very careful NOT to say anything bad about my current teacher, she is a very
nice person I am just not getting what I need from her. Everyone I spoke to
today has been great about "confidentiality" I am sure these issues come up a
lot.

Lea Ann

emusic.com