Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] PC?

>AS for the above
comment, I was generalising about 5 years experience on the list that
occasionally people can shy away from the real guts of an argument, sometimes
due to over political correctness. I think that the attitude towards being PC
is a little more sceptical in the UK than in the US (another generalisation, I
admit it now).

Isn't it interesting that you and I have been part of this list for almost 6
years, and we don't see it the same at all? I think we have had a huge number
of arguments on the list in that length of time, some more successful than
others. I think the ones that have been less successful have been the ones
that (1) were on subjects innapropriate to this list, or (2) were not engaged
in by people who remembered to respect and be polite to one another.

I'm still having trouble understanding your reference to PC. Could you
explain exactly how you see our behavior as being politically correct? I
think the term PC gets thrown around a lot, but I think we are not always clear
on what it really means. Help me out here, please.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com