Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  5:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Raised larynx, Crowded throat

Virginija Bruozis Muliolis wrote:

> Isn't it funny how some explanations "click" for some and not for others..
> hence the reason for my original posting. It became apparent that she was
> working really hard to "get" the concepts and being disappointed when she
> wasn't successful- the dreaded cycle of self-sabotage.

This is something I can relate to. But I wouldn't call
failure to relate to verbal concepts "self-sabotage", since
there's nothing intentional about it. I'm a student
(studying 15+ years now), for whom "explanations" have never
been helpful. I appreciate them, but words have rarely
worked for me on their own. They only work for me once my
body has learned something that the words can remind me of.
There's not a sound vocal concept where the words worked
first for me, whether it's "low breath", "breath support"
"high palate", or whatever. Even verbal descriptions of
someone else's feelings have not been helpful. My teachers
have had the most success helping me when they found me
doing something "right" and helped me learn the feeling of
that. Then together we found words that were meaningful to
me (and technically accurate), which helped me recreate the
right things more and more of the time.

The practices that Sharon and Naomi described all have been
very helpful for me, though when one thing becomes less
effective temporarily, we've had to move to another for a
while. Also very helpful to me has been listening to really
good singers. Especially the ones who seem to have worked
to acquire their technique. I'm thinking particularly of
Renee Fleming. While my voice isn't like hers, listening to
her and seeing her in videos dealing with her breath,
managing her passagio, etc., has been very helpful. I've
not consciously copied her singing (though emulating her
relaxed jaw position has worked well for me), but instead
tried to allow the good vocal practices to seep into my
consciousness by osmosis. I've often found that after
listening to her singing for a while, my own singing moves
up a notch in ease of production.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...