Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  4:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

Both of my teachers have been sopranos. For a young student, the vocal
category of the teacher's voice is far less important than the teacher's
pedagogical ability and general attitude.

But part of the problem is that I am not a young student I am a 31 year old
student. However, something may develop soon, I have been on the phone this
morning with someone who gave me a lead on a wonderful teacher (her words) who
has a new doctorate and is a mezzo, she loves mezzos and is a professor at my
local University, the person I spoke to today said, stop trying to do soprano
pieces and focus on mezzo pieces, she told me about competitions for people in
my age group (I still have a couple of years left) and she told me about
apprentice programs...WOW who knew? My current teacher never mentioned any of
this to me. It would be nice to have a plan of attack for a change. She
suggested I go hear the Met auditions in Kansas City this weekend and listen to
pieces I liked, and listen to pieces I did not like...and try and figure out
which ones I would like to work on for competition and audition. Again who
knew?

So it does indeed look like I need to fine someone else to teach me....I think
it's important to work with someone who at very least cares about your progress
and is interested in helping you work toward goals...and perhaps inform you of
opportunities.

Lea Ann

emusic.com