Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dr Colin D Reed <colin.reed@e...>
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  3:43 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] PC?

>===== Original Message From vocalist-temporary@egroups.com =====
>Colin wrote:
>
>>>If I have ever had one criticism of vocalist it has been the tendency
towards
>PC. It is so much more interesting when people let their hair down a bit
>more.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. I certainly respect
differences of opinion, but I don't think it is necessary for people to be
rude. Did I, as
>a teacher, appreciate our unnamed friend's comment about teachers' heads
being
>the hardest to crack? If he were himself a teacher, I might have appreciated
>it. If he is not, then I don't appreciate it. If by PC you mean Polite
>Company, then I am all for it! I try to be polite when I am disagreeing with
>someone, and if I fail and find that out, I will apologize.
>
> |\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
> | 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
>() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

I am certainly not advocating anyone being rude for the sake of being rude
(or in fact being rude at all. It is not necessary). AS for the above
comment, I was generalising about 5 years experience on the list that
occasionally people can shy away from the real guts of an argument, sometimes
due to over political correctness. I think that the attitude towards being PC
is a little more sceptical in the UK than in the US (another generalisation, I
admit it now).

Our unnamed friend's comment about teacher's heads being the hardest to crack
may have come from years of experience with meeting different singers and
teachers. I don't know if it has or not, since we have not been given that
information. However, past experience or not, it did not warrant someone
posting the equivalent of "I don't like the tone of your voice. Who the ----
are you anyway". I took the "----" to imply an expletive. This is not the
sort of behaviour I condone at all, but I do encourage an open minded and
(fairly) straight talking debate!

Best wishes

Colin

Colin Reed, Tenor
Newark, UK
Tel: +44 1636 706158
Mobile: +44 7973 952447

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1649 Re: PC? Laura Sharp   Tue  5/16/2000   3 KB

emusic.com