Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  2:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SINGERS AND MUSICIANS

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. I was a huge fan of The Who during
my college years - and I quite often referred to the different albums as
Pete Townshend's albums, not The Who's - particularly albums that I knew
were almost exclusively expressions of his artistic and intellectual and
psychological/emotional visions. QUADROPHENIA, for instance - which had
Townshend's "signature" engraved so deeply on it that the vocal parts were
written almost DESPITE Daltrey's vocal abilities, rather than FOR them
(and Daltrey complained vociferously about this). Townshend always used
his music and lyrics to exorcise his demons, and despite the charisma of
both Daltrey and the late great Keith Moon, there were times when it
seemed that The Who was just the backup band for Pete Townshend -
especially on those occasions when he assigned the vocal solo to himself
(parts of "Getting in Tune"; "Eminence Front"). So yes - there were (and
still are) many times when I refer to The Who's work as Pete Townshend's.
Apologies to Daltrey, Entwistle, Moon, et al - but that's just the way it
is.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com