Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  10:12 am
Subject:  RE: beatles,pop,rap michmash (plus: moderating)

Until this morning I have been quite amused at our tendency to descend
into this type of discussion on a fairly regular basis. Usually it's
started by someone who decides that they need to take a post quite
literally and respond by pushing the statement to an extreme
interpretation, sometimes by taking things purposely out of context.
More often than not, that leads to a huge fracas on the list.

I'm not sure if the instigator does this because of a (1)
misunderstanding, (2) desire to show the dangers of sweeping
generalisations, or (3) need to show of his/her debating skills and
have a bit of fun. Whatever the reason, I've been quite happy to stay
on the sidelines during these discussions and delete messages when it
becomes too annoying. At times I've even chuckled at the inventiveness
of the participants. That was until this morning when I read the
following post:

>>From: "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
>>
>>DON'T WORRY, LIST, I'M REDIRECTING THIS DISCUSSION INTO A SINGING
>>TOPIC.
>>
>>[deleted text]
>>
>>So you must be against any legal system, and you must think there's
>>nothing wrong about destroying the WTC and the lives in there. How
>>could you judge bin Laden or the guy who's into raping your mother

I find this post inappropriate, unnecessary, and rather offensive. I
also fail to see how the first half of the post (roughly) is related to
a singing topic. And while I support everyone's right to express
themselves freely on this list and anywhere else, I fail to see what
Caio was hoping to accomplish by once again taking someone else's
position out of context and pushing it to the extreme... besides
aggravating a lot of Vocalisters, that is.

Ultimately, I do not care what Caio was trying to accomplish, nor do I
wish to know. I find the continued use of absurd interpretations of a
person's reasoning a very poor way of discussing an issue and do not
believe that it furthers the discussion in any way if it is overused.
We reached that point many post ago.

Ingo