Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Ruiz" <laura@d...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  12:03 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] SINGERS AND MUSICIANS

On 1/9/02, Caio said:

>>OK, I'm nuts!<<

Yes you are!

You're getting into philosophical ideas here first of all, not musical
ones.

Second of all, the recordings are all about the soloist. The other
musicians are there (generally speaking) to make that artist sound their
absolute best. Therefore I feel that it's perfectly appropriate to
credit the CD with the star artist.

That said, I've always felt bad for presidential speech-writers. So
often our political leaders are quoted as having said these wonderful
and profound things, when usually it was words written down by a
speech-writer who's name is never known.

Ummm, I also will still take offense to the categorizations of "Singers"
vs. "Musicians". They are one and the same in most instances now - at
least in the classical world. It used to be funny back in high school.
It's just sad now. And for me to take offense to something says a lot
because I just don't take offense to things. Maybe it's because I
started out as one of the "musicians" since I was a violinist most of my
life and then switched to singing. But I'm meeting more and more
"singers" who are darn fine "musicians" as well, so I'm really tired of
this sterotype.

Ok, I'm done with this subject now. Next?

Laura

emusic.com