Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  11:07 pm
Subject:  SINGERS AND MUSICIANS

Hi,

Taking the risk of you guys thinking "Now, he's gone really nuts!" I want to
share some considerations I was making the other day and popped back up on my
mind with this whole discussion about the Beatles and George Harrison: when you
listen to a band or an orchestra on a CD and you enjoy it you generally credit
that band or orchestra with the merit, and that implies you're praising each and
every member at the same time with basically one or some more words ( Queen,
Beatles, the NY Philharmonic Orchestra, etc ). But if we're listening to a solo
artist, generally but not necessarily a singer, the merit goes exclusively to
the artist whose name is brought on the CD cover ( Madonna, Pavarotti, George
Harrison, Steve Vai, etc ). But you're not solely listening to them actually,
and if the artist is in charge of his/her "instrument" only ( the voice, the
guitar, the piano, etc ) then it's even more inappropriate to credit that artist
only: if you analyze that CD with some specific software you'll probably find
out that artist is responsible for maybe only 1/10 of all the hertz you hear
there.

Isn't it "unfair" then to say things like "Madonna's latest CD is great" or
"that's my favorite Pavarotti's CD"? No one would point at one of Queen's CD and
say "that Fred Mercury's CD is one of my favorites", even if that person
listened to Queen just because of Mercury!

OK, I'm nuts!

Best wishes,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16341 Microphones in recording lower voices...(not the David Grogan   Wed  1/9/2002
16368 Re: Microphones in recording lower voicesJohn Link   Thu  1/10/2002
16383 Re: Microphones in recording lower voicessilvergryphyn   Thu  1/10/2002
16378 Re: Microphones in recording lower voices...(not takooda   Thu  1/10/2002
16416 Re: Microphones in recording lower voices (and hoDré de Man   Fri  1/11/2002
16342 Re: SINGERS AND MUSICIANSLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/10/2002
16343 Re: SINGERS AND MUSICIANSGreypins@a...   Thu  1/10/2002
16351 Re: SINGERS AND MUSICIANSLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/10/2002
16365 Re: SINGERS AND MUSICIANSKaren Mercedes   Thu  1/10/2002

emusic.com