Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re[2]: [vocalist] Joao Gilberto

Tuesday, January 08, 2002, 10:28:19 PM, Caio wrote:

CR> I guess the best phonetic transcription for João would be /juãw/, /j/ as the
second G in "garage" ( with the emulated French pronunciation, not as in
"garbage" neither as in the Spanish "Juan"
CR> )but be sure to nasalize the semi-vowel /w/ too, not only the /ã/. Gilberto
is /jiw'bertw/, with the same French G, the L becomes the semi-vowel /w/ and so
does the O, the E as in "red" and the R
CR> may be like the French ( Rio's accent, where most "bossanova-ers" came from
) or the Italians ( but a little shorter ) would pronounce it.

Thank you!

Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL
http://home.earthlink.net/~mbryantsprint/biography.htm