Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  12:56 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] beatles,pop,rap michmash (plus: moderating)

Dear Ron and co-vocalisters,

Ron Zinkel wrote:

Are we destined to see our Vocalist
become Vocalist/sociologist-very temporary? I hope not.

I totally agree.

A related issue is the fact that some people are compulsive talkers,
they talk and talk and never stop. We avoid those people in normal life,
because they are not interested in a normal conversation, they only want
to hear themselves. However, in virtuality, avoiding those people is
quite difficult. Besides that, the use of email seems to induce somehow
a way of communicating, that is different from normal life: there is
nobody that looks at you, starts to yawn, or interrupts you, so the
things that normally might stop you from talking too much or from saying
things that are somehow not ok or even just might be misunderstood, are
missing.

Most people on this list seem to be able to communicate very well
despite all that. Sometimes people make a mistake (that surely includes
me) but in general the group conversations in written form (that’s what
we have here) are interesting, nice and to the point (means: are about
singing). In the last couple of days it was different though.

In the past we discussed moderation, and most of us were not for it, so
we don’t have moderation. However, continuing without moderation is only
possible if everybody on this list (but some people more than others)
would think twice or trice before sending a mail.

I think it is important to know, that you don’t have to respond to
everybody who does not agree with you. You made your point, somebody
else his or hers, and mostly that’s enough: after that you come into
situation that’s called repeating strikes (maybe a bad translation),
something that both in a chess game and in the real world is useless. Of
course it is even worse if you already start a thread with an opinion
that surely will invoke many people to write they disagree with you:
such a thing is useless and means just spoiling bandwidth, disk space
and time.

A list lives thanks to the fact that people respond. It can also die
from overresponding. Let’s hope that does not happen.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com